Classes Offered September-October 2017
All times are Pacific Time (if you’re not sure how that matches with your time zone, here’s a resource).
- Saturday, September 2, 9:30-11:30 AM — Description and Delivering Information
- Saturday, September 9, 9:30-11:30 AM – Multiple Points of View and Worldbuilding — How to Broaden Your World with Fran Wilde
- Wednesday, September 13, 4-6 PM — Story Fundamentals
- Saturday, September 16, 9:30-11:30 AM — Speculative Poetry with Rachel Swirsky
- Saturday, September 16, 1-3 PM — Career Chat (cost is $25) Limited to 8 participants.
- Saturday, October 7, 9:30-11:30 AM — Old Stories Into New with Rachel Swirsky
- Monday, October 9, 7-9 PM — Career Chat (cost is $25) Limited to 8 participants.
- Wednesday, October 11, 4-6 PM — Creating an Online Presence for Writers Workshop
- Saturday, October 14, 9:30-11:30 AM — Pitches and Synopses with Jennifer Brozek
- Sunday, October 22, 9:30-11:30 AM – Literary Techniques for Genre Writers
- Wednesday, October 25 , 4-6 PM — Writing Steampunk & Weird Western
- Saturday, October 28, 9:30-11:30 AM — Moving From Idea to Draft
I’ve been teaching writing for over three decades now. Ten years ago I started working with what would become the Rambo Academy for Wayward Writers. Since then literally hundreds of students have come through my classes; many are out there publishing away and I’m cheering every time I see one on a table of contents or on an award ballot. if you’ve got questions about the classes, please don’t hesitate to mail me with them. Here’s some testimonials for a few past ones.
Live classes are taught online via Google Hangouts and have a limited number of participants. A computer with a good Internet connection and a microphone is necessary; a webcam will enhance your class experience considerably. If there is an on-demand version of the class, you will be provided with a free coupon for it, so you have access to those notes.
To register for a class, mail me with the following details:
- The email address that you use for Google stuff.
- Which class or classes and the dates.
- Whether you would prefer to pay via Paypal, check, or some other means.
Single session classes are $49 if you register before July 1, 2017. At that point, they will go up to $99 ($79 for former students).
You should receive confirmation of your registration within 24 hours.
Free scholarships: If you cannot afford a class but really want to take one, apply for a Plunkett Scholarship. Each class has a slot reserved for such a student, and the sole criteria is that you can’t afford the class but really think it would be useful for you. To apply, mail me with your name, the class name/date, and a brief statement about why you want to take the class. QUILTBAG and PoC candidates are especially encouraged to apply. The Plunkett Scholarships are named for Edward Plunkett, who wrote as Lord Dunsany. Scholarship recipients will be notified the week before the class.
How do I find out about future classes, new publications, and other projects? Sign up here: