News and More Stuff from Chez Rambo
Well, by now you know my big news, which is that my novelette Carpe Glitter is a Nebula Award nominee. I’m deeply honored to find myself in such fine company and absolutely twitter-pated to find out how many people have enjoyed it. The Nebulas are chosen by other writers who are SFWA members, and that makes this very meaningful to me. I will be at the conference that weekend.
If you’re not a SFWA member, but want some say in whether or not it appears on other ballots, it’s eligible for the Hugo Award and Locus Award in the novelette category and the World Fantasy Award in the novella category. You can see the cool banner that Meerkat Press did for me at the top of this newsletter.
If you’ve read the book and found it fun, please think about giving it a review or posting about it on social media!
Want to hear the first bit of it? Here’s a YouTube video.
In recent class news, I’m in the process of lining up classes for the April-June time frame, but will be taking most of April off due to travel and moving.
One new class I’d like to point you at is How Not to Feel Like a Failure in Your Writing Career with Jennifer Brozek, which talks about dealing with imposter syndrome, guilt, and other writerly frailties.
I’m excited to say Judith Tarr will be giving a workshop on how to write about horses on May 2, 9:30-11:30 AM Pacific time. I’ll post more details as soon as I have the full description but you can go ahead and reserve a slot if you know you’re going to want to attend.
Look for news of more upcoming classes soon – I’m hoping the list will include at least one with Seanan McGuire, plus I’ve got some other rad stuff in the works.
Here’s the complete list of live classes in March at the moment. Classes appearing for the first time are bolded.
- Writing and Gender with Cheryl Morgan, Sunday, March 1, 2020, 9:30-11:30 AM Pacific time
- Dunking the Reader in the Details: Toolsets for Creating Immersive Worlds with Cat Rambo, Sunday, March 1, 2020, 1-3 PM Pacific time
- Writing Your Way Into Your Novel with Cat Rambo, Saturday, March 7, 2020, 1-3 PM Pacific time
- Head Hopping and Head Hunting: Deep Point of View Writing with Tracy Townsend, Sunday, March 8, 2020, 9:30-11:30 AM Pacific time
- How Not to Feel Like a Failure in Your Writing Career with Jennifer Brozek, Saturday, March 14, 2020 9:30 am – 11:30 am Pacific time.
- Intro to Game Writing with Monica Valentinelli, Saturday, March 28, 2020 9:30 am – 11:30 am Pacific time
Remember that if you can’t make the live classes, there’s plenty of on-demand ones!
Along with chat server access and class discounts, Patreon supporters this month got:
◦ 2 installments of serial novella BABY DRIVER, the pulp-y adventures of Patricia Savage and her five associates in 1930s America.
◦ Weekly online co-writing sessions on Wednesday mornings. If you’d like to join the next one, the link will be posted on Patreon and Discord. I will schedule at least one weekend one in March.
◦ A chance to participate in weekly goal-setting and check-in.
◦ Snippets included bits from Flowergod (SF story), The Butterfly Court’s Bathroom (fantasy story), (2) Because It is Bitter (SF near future novella), writing exercises from Fran Wilde’s Fantastic Worldbuilding class.