The second, which is also a really fun and informative class, is To Space Opera and Beyond with Ann Leckie. Technical difficulties hindered the first sessions but everything is smooth and running well now! In this class, Ann talks about space opera, its characteristics, how to handle them, and the process of writing not just a single novel but a series, while we provide writing exercises to take away and use to apply what Ann has told you. Ann is a lively and congenial teacher, funny without being snarky, and above all encouraging and inspiring. I’m really looking forward to the next class, which happens on Sunday, December 18, 9:30-11:30 AM Pacific time. There is still room in that and the Saturday, January 7 class at the same time.
I am offering the six session Writing F&SF Stories Workshop again, in three different sections:
Section 1: Tuesday afternoons 1-3 PM, January 3, 10, 17, 24, 31, and February 7
Section 2: Wednesday evenings 7-9 PM January 4, 18, 25, and February 1, 8, 15
Section 3: Sunday evenings 5-7 PM January 8, 15, 22, 29 and February 5, 12
I am offering the Advanced Story Writing Workshop on Tuesday evenings 5-7 PM starting January 3rd and going for six weeks. The Advanced Workshop focuses on workshopping stories each week along with lecture, discussion, and in-class writing exercises designed to help you continue to refine your skills and expand your toolset.
I am also doing a very limited number of individual tutorials. This is a one-on-one class composed of 15-30 minute sessions scheduled to fit your time demands and aimed at what you want to cover. In each one, we will go over the past week’s writing assignment, discuss problems, focus on what you want to be working on, and help you create a writing practice that is productive, energetic, and above all enjoyable. Initial cost is $100 for a commitment of four sessions; the tutorial can be extended as desired. For either of these options, you must either have taken the Writing F&SF Stories Workshop or send me a story (4k words or less) that convinces me you don’t need that workshop.
Other classes are single sessions, usually two hours, although we often spill over another half hour in order to answer questions. All of the following take place 9:30 to 11:30 AM, Pacific (Seattle) time.
- The Power of Words with Juliette Wade, Saturday, December 17
- To Space Opera and Beyond with Ann Leckie, Sunday, December 18 or Saturday, January 7
- Character Building Workshop, Sunday, January 8 or Saturday, February 11
- Creating an Online Presence for Writers, Saturday, January 14
- Description and Delivering Information, Sunday, January 15 or Sunday, March 18
- Literary Techniques for Genre Writers I, Saturday, Jan 21 or Sunday, February 19
- Literary Techniques for Genre Writers II, Sunday, January 22 or Saturday, February 25
- First Pages Workshop, Saturday, January 28
- Flash Fiction Workshop, Sunday, January 29 or Saturday, March 11
- Moving from Idea to Draft, Saturday, February 4 or Sunday, February 26
- How to Rewrite, Edit, and Polish Your Fiction, Sunday, February 5
- Writing Your Way Into Your Novel, Sunday, February 11 or Sunday, March 12
Class space is limited, so I suggest registering sooner rather than later. To register for a class, mail me with the following details:
- The email address that you use for Google stuff.
- Which class or classes and the dates.
- Please remind me if you have already taken a class with me so you can get the former student rate ($79 for individual classes, $199 for the six-week workshop). Otherwise the cost is $99 for individual classes, $249 for the six-week workshop.
- Whether you would prefer to pay via Paypal, check, or some other means.
Upon receiving that, I will send you an invoice .
Important! Remember every class has a Plunkett scholarship for students who could not otherwise afford the cost. To apply for a Plunkett, mail me and tell me why you want to take the class in 100 words or less. Include the name and date of the class, please!
Trying to find a gift for that writer on your list? I’m happy to do gift certificates for both live or on demand classes and tutorials; mail me to work out details.
Did you make it all the way down here? If so, here are some holiday baby goats for you: