The first part of my Asimov’s story, All the Pretty Little Mermaids, is up online.
Kate Baker does a beautiful job with the audio version of “Tortoiseshell Cats are Not Refundable”
- I blogged about Why I Don’t Want to Read Your Story
- Please spread the word about this anthology from Brandon Bell and the impetus behind it.
- Will I get to destroy fantasy? It remains to be seen. Last week for the Women Destroying SF Kickstarter. People have asked whether I plan to do open submissions for it, the answer is yes.
- 29 Problems Only Writers Will Understand
- Locus has posted their recommended reading list for 2013.
- SF Signal asks what’s wrong with epic fantasy
Elizabeth Bear is one of my favorite writers. Here’s an interview with her on Tor.com.
Books I talked about these books for You Should Read This:
- A fabulous work about writing, On Writing by Stephen King
- English comic novel Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
- Classic fantasy novel The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. No time to read it? Here’s the best quotes from it on GoodReads. Or here’s a picture of him and George R.R. Martin playing with stuffed animals.
- Longtime American comic strip Pogo by Walt Kelly
- Feminist spirituality guidebook 365 Goddess by Patricia Telesco
- Classic epic work The Odyssey by Homer
- Creative aid Surrealist Games
Things of Note:
- SFWA has put together its own accessibility checklist for events
- Are you warm right now? A lot of people aren’t.
- Shades of Boneshaker, Batman! Seattle’s giant digging machine is broken
- Via Wayne, a squirrel trying to bury a nut in a very odd place
- Richard Sherman has gone missing. Well, the owl named after him.
- io9.com lists some good February reading.
Lovely story by Natalia Theodoridou on Clarkesworld.