These are noteworthy writing or publishing related links I’ve found recently:
- Anne Rice talking about plot. Found via Fran Friel. Rice talks about conversations with herself about the plot as part of the planning process.
- Fascinating Atlantic piece talking to Mohsin Hamid about a passage from Haruki Murakami.
- Silvia Moreno Garcia talks about writing your own culture in your science fiction.
- Is epic fantasy crushingly conservative? Some interesting thoughts from Liz Bourke.
- The Finkbeiner Test. I worked with Ann while I was at JHU so the minute I saw that term I thought she might be behind it. I’m going to be using this term for sure.
- I haven’t read WOOL yet. This piece about its underground success makes me want to read it even more.
- You may or may not be aware of the hubbub about Random House’s electronic imprint lines and their contracts. If you’re thinking about signing with them, you might want to look this over first.
- Used e-books seems like an odd concept, but Amazon and Apple are pursuing it.
- Amazon’s also looking to bring out domains like .book and .read.