- Finish a review and get it in (today)
- Finish the press release for the group reading, compile list of where to send it, and send it
- Finish novel revisions agent requested
- Finish up the proof-of-concept piece for the Secret Project as well as other stuff so it can get revealed within the next couple of weeks.
- Some nonfiction queries – I’d like to do something on the PBS (and other) hacks triggered by their coverage of Wikileaks and I’m pitching a piece to the ND alumni mag that I think will be interesting and make me learn some new stuff. I’m trying to do more nonfiction since my gig at HelloSeattle fell through (which is also sad, it was fun to do and the pay was decent, which may be why they had to stop paying). Queries are kinda a pain in the butt, though, since they involve research and writing a good pitch, which always ends up feeling like wasted effort when (as seems to usually be the case) the magazine doesn’t reply.
- There’s two editing projects in the hopper, so I hope to do some of the reading for those as well. Garn.
The Writing F&SF class has come and gone, which frees up some time, but is kinda sad because it’s a fun way to spend an evening a week. I’ll be teaching at BCC at the end of July – the Blogging 101 class plus a one day workshop on writing flash fiction that should be a lot of fun on July 28th. Come August, I’m doing a teen workshop for the King County Library System at the Issaquah Library.
At the end of this month on June 30th at 7 pm, there’s a group reading at Inner Chapters Bookstore, 419 Fairview Avenue North, here in Seattle. Titled “Benefictions,” its proceeds will go to benefit disaster victims in Japan. No cover charge, but we will be taking donations and a chapbook with fiction from the reading will be available for purchase. That’s the weekend of the Locus Awards and the start of Clarion West – I’m looking forward to both events!